The Humanist Resource Connection is dedicated to organizing resources that foster the understanding, discussion, advocacy and application of the principles of secular Humanism.
Here's some news and views of interest to the Humanist community from the past week:
In the News
- Women's Rights: Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker signed a repeal of his state’s workplace-discrimination law.
- Climate Change: Thirty years ago, a paper in the journal Science made several projections regarding future climate change and anthropogenic global warming based on manmade CO2 emissions. Guess what's already come true. Also: A NASA scientist speaks out about why climate change is one of the great moral issues of our generation.
- Evolution: Tennessee is ground zero this week in the evolution vs. creationism debate.
- Atheism: The Charleston City Paper has a good article on Herb Silverman in advance of his new book, "Candidate Without a Prayer".
- Ethics: Richard Dawkins, speaking at the Northwest Free-thought Alliance's annual convention, expanded on his Reason Rally comments about the need for morality to be "intelligently designed".
- Euthanasia: AHA Executive Director Roy Speckhardt wrote about the importance of making the right for terminally ill individuals to be able to die with dignity a part of the healthcare debate.
A Smattering of Posts from around the Blogosphere
- Right in my neck of the woods, a church sent out postcards trying to drum up interest in their Easter Sunday service. One problem: they used a dead bunny to make a point. Witness the aftermath of this harebrained scheme (couldn't resist) here and here and here. Here's the pastor's sort-of mea culpa.
- Over at the Center for Inquiry, Tom Flynn responds to criticism over his Free Inquiry column, "Why Secularists Don't Sing."
- "Being Human" has many thought-provoking, er, thoughts on the recently Sam Harris-inspired free-will meme with the post, "Is freedom of choice an illusion?"
- Bible study for babies. I kid you not. (The Rock Beyond Belief blog)
- School tries (and fails) to take ‘God’ out of ‘God Bless the USA’ (Friendly Atheist)
- The media has made much this week of an atheist converting back to Christianity. Christina at WWJTD? responds.
- The Atheist Ethicist posts "A Defense of Secularism - Introduction: Preconceptions"
- Are Atheists Paying Too Much Respect to Religious Beliefs? (Friendly Atheist)
- "Daylight Atheism" asks: "Why do atheists gather?"
- Top 10 misguided responses to calls for compassion (The Humanist Contemplative)
- PZ Myers on "Irrational Humans".
- I posted earlier this week with a Little Background on Easter and how the holiday, as practiced today, is an amalgamation of pre-Christian pagan, Christian and Jewish traditions.
What's New at the Humanist Resource Connection?
If you're reading this then you're truly an early adopter (and thanks for that). HRC continues to emerge from the little cocoon that started breaking open (officially) on March 22. It's been a big week of tweaks and upgrades:
- Commenting is now provided through Disqus so people can sign in via their favorite social media account.
- RSS feeds are now available for most of the sections (see the list in the column on the right).
- The Twitter account is up and running @HmnstResources. (Show some love and follow!)
- I developed a new system for managing "In the News" content that allows me to update that section more frequently without killing myself. I also started adding news related to the various subjects in the Topics section. In addition to the widget in the right column, topic-specific news can be found on most of the individual Topic pages.
- Began this, the Week in Review, which will hopefully become a regular feature (my schedule permitting!).
Recent HRC Blog Posts
- What Humanists Need to Know No. 5 - May 5, 2012 Week in Review
- What Humanists Need to Know No. 4 - April 28, 2012 Week in Review
- What Humanists Need to Know No. 3 - April 21, 2012 Week in Review
- Week in Review No. 2 - April 14, 2012
- Transcript of debate between Richard Dawkins and Cardinal George Pell
- Week in Review - April 7, 2012
- A Little Background on Easter
- Transcript of Congressman Pete Stark's speech at Reason Rally 2012
- Transcript of Jessica Ahlquist's speech at Reason Rally 2012
- Transcript of Richard Dawkins' speech from Reason Rally 2012