The Humanist Resource Connection is dedicated to organizing resources that foster the understanding, discussion, advocacy and application of the principles of secular Humanism.
Happy Saturday to you! Without further ado ...
In the News
- Sexuality & Religion: 5 Countries That Do It Better: How Sexual Prudery Makes America a Less Healthy and Happy Place (Salon.com)
- Atheism: In Q&A format, The Week looks at why atheists continue to be one of the least trusted minorities despite atheism's growing numbers. Also, "Do Atheists Belong in the Interfaith Movement?" (spirituality-and-religion.com)
- Evolution: Tennessee made it easier this week to promote creationism and dispute global warming in schools. (Chicago Tribune)
- LGBT Rights: The GA Voice expounds on "Why Marriage Equality Matters". Great line: "More than just saying 'I do,' marriage is about saying 'we are.'" Meanwhile, over at The American Prospect, a personal story about a failed attempt to de-program the author's homosexuality. And see this: Catholic Bishops: 'Religious Liberty' Includes Right To Discriminate Against Gay People, Impose Values (Think Progress)
- Global Health: The UN is warning of an imminent humanitarian disaster if wealthy nations don't step forward to help the approximately 15 million people in the Sahel region of West Africa cope with a recent severe drought that threatens food supplies.
- Climate Change: As if the humanitarian angle regarding climate change's effects on water supply wasn't enough of a reason for action, Forbes points out that it'll be bad for business and national security.
- Euthanasia: Louisiana wants to double-down against those who want to die with dignity. (nola.com) Meanwhile, word is that French President Mitterrand death was an assisted suicide. See also, Is a Dignified Death Too Much to Ask? (canada.com)
A Smattering of Notable Posts from Around the Blogosphere
- Foundation Beyond Belief unveiled their five new featured charities for the second quarter. They're also accepting summer intern applications. If you don't know about FBB, you should. See also, Atheists Raise $40,000 for Charity in Three Months.
- Richard Wade's latest "Dear Richard" column responds to a woman seeking guidance about coming out -- along with her three closeted atheist family members -- to her Christian mother.
- Ophelia Benson over at Butterflies & Wheels takes issue with De Botton's book "Religion for Atheists", as well as Nicholas Kristof's coverage.
- Jessica Ahlquist, the teen who fought to have a prayer banner removed at her school and won, shared a piece of her hate mail. Christian morals, indeed. Stay strong, Jessica! (Friendly Atheist)
- The Global Atheist Convention has started in Australia. Early blog coverage here and here and here.
- The Friendly Atheist is looking for new contributors.
- The Therapist Project has launched. The site (brought to you by Recovering From Religion) is a resource for secular folks who want secular therapists.
- Children’s evolution book that US publishers found too hot to handle wins top Canadian prize. (The Freethinker)
- Theism provides no answers (but if you're reading this, you knew that already). (Secular Perspectives)
- Dale McGowan (of FBB fame) has been writing some great stuff (no surprise there) over at the Parenting Beyond Belief blog. See "Born This Way?", "Unnatural", and "6000 Days". In that order.
New at The Humanist Resource Connection
- Be sure to check out the transcript I posted this week of the debate between Richard Dawkins and Cardinal George Pell, who were on Australian TV's Q&A program. Rollicking. Also, here's the video.
- You may have noticed that In the News now has individual pages for each featured article -- this is so people can comment on the HRC site if they want to discuss.
- Living After Faith and Ask an Atheist have been added to the Podcasts page.
As always, you can contact me here and suggest content here. Participation is not only welcome, it's strongly encouraged! Also, check out the HRC Twitter feed (@HmnstResources) if you're Twitter inclined.
Recent HRC Blog Posts
- What Humanists Need to Know No. 5 - May 5, 2012 Week in Review
- What Humanists Need to Know No. 4 - April 28, 2012 Week in Review
- What Humanists Need to Know No. 3 - April 21, 2012 Week in Review
- Week in Review No. 2 - April 14, 2012
- Transcript of debate between Richard Dawkins and Cardinal George Pell
- Week in Review - April 7, 2012
- A Little Background on Easter
- Transcript of Congressman Pete Stark's speech at Reason Rally 2012
- Transcript of Jessica Ahlquist's speech at Reason Rally 2012
- Transcript of Richard Dawkins' speech from Reason Rally 2012